Wheeler Lake Recreation
Campground & Local Area Activities
Below you will find a list of campground activities that you might enjoy while visiting us and links to websites that might be helpful in planning your trip here to Wheeler Lake Campground. You'll discover trails for following our local bird population, great places to fish on Wheeler Reservoir, and lots of quaint small towns to explore.
Camp & Care Weekend (And...Mother's Day!): May 12-14
When you camp Friday night, you get Saturday for $10. The ten dollars goes directly to the KOA care camps that allows kids with cancer and other terminal illnesses the chance to go camping with all the medical care they need. The weekend is dedicated to raising money for these camps!
Memorial Day Weekend: May 26-29
Kick off the summer camping season with us! Sit back, relax on the beach and enjoy the campfire cheer! This is a 3-night minimum stay get-a-way.
Father's Day Weekend: June 16-18
Give Dad the gift of camping! Kids stay free! Whether you are tent camping or rv-ing, you can enjoy the GREAT outdoors with dad.
4th of July Weekend: June 30-July 5
The highlight of summer...join us as we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE! This is a 4-night minimum stay get-a-way.
Labor Day Weekend: September 1-4
Last get-a-way of the summer camping season! One and all, join us for our annual Labor Day Parade. Decorate your golfcart, bicycle or yourself and walk with us. Sign up in the office for our first great dessert contest.
- Swimming (No lifeguard on duty.)
- Boating (Bring your boat.)
- Canoeing and Kayaking (Bring your own or rent one at the campground office.)
- Fishing (License required; See Fishing on Wheeler Reservoir below for helpful links.)
- Water Skiing (Bring your own equipment.)
- Jet Skiing (Bring your jet ski.)
- Nature Photography
- Rental Bicycles (Bring your own or rent one at the campground office.)
- Badminton (Equipment free for loan at the campground office.)
- Croquet (Equipment free for loan at the campground office.)
- Bocce (Equipment free for loan at the campground office.)
- Horseshoes (Equipment free for loan at the campground office.)
Wheeler Lake Campground at Mallard Creek is home to Sandhill Cranes, Mallard Ducks, Prothonotary Warblers, and Ospreys just to name a few. Visit the websites below for information on the Central Alabama Bird Watching Loop and the Wildlife Refuge located nearby.
Visit the following websites to view information on Wheeler Reservoir fishing and all of the types of fish you can catch right here at the Wheeler Lake Campground. A fishing license is required.